Adhesive Recipes for Papier Mache
Papier mache literally means mashed paper, or chewed paper and is extremely accessible to both children and adults.
To compliment the posts on papier mache I have included various Eco-friendly, non-toxic glues easily made from ingredients you can find in your pantry to mix with recycled newspapers, magazine pages or handmade or paper of any type really.
Framework for papier mache can be considered an armature, including cardboard, wire, or crumpled paper.
Essential oils are used as preservatives
Simple Collage glue
1/4 C non-self-rising wheat flour
1/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp powdered alum
13/4 C warm water
essential oil (included essential oil guide)
- In a stainless steel pot, combine flour, sugar and powdered alum
- Add water and stir until there are no lumps
- Bring mixture to a low boil and continue stirring until it appears almost transparent
- Remove the pot from heat and add a few drops of essential oil
- Allow the mixture to cool, pour mixture into a jar.
Apply with a paintbrush. The glue can be stored for several months.
This heavy bodied paste works well for adhering paper and objects. because it does not dry completely clear, use it underneath papers and objects, where it cannot be seen.
3/4 C Rice flour
2 tbs sugar
3/4 warm water
- In a pot, combine rice flour, sugar, and water. Stir until there are no lumps
- Stir over low heat until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and mix in a few drops of essential oil.
- Allow mixture to cool, then pour into a jar
Apply with a paintbrush. Because this paste is quite thick, you might want to use an old credit card to spread it. This glue can be stored for several months
5TSP unflavored gelatin
6TBS boiling water
2 TSP vinegar
2 TSP glycerin
- In a pot, over low heat, combine gelatin with water.
- Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add vinegar and glycerin. Mix well
- Remove from heat and stir in a few drops of essential oil
Apply with a paintbrush. Use this glue while it is warm, because it can gel when it cools off. To warm it, simply place the jar in a bowl of warm water until the mixture softens. The glue can be stored for several months.
ESSENTIAL OILS (Preservative)
Essential oils that can be used as preservatives in homemade paints and adhesives:
- Tea tree